- London, with international travel as required
- 3 years Fixed Term Contract, starting as soon as possible
Accelerating the Sustainable Control and Elimination of Neglected Tropical Diseases (ASCEND), is funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID). The objective of ASCEND is to achieve progress towards the 2020 NTD roadmap targets for the targeted NTDs across priority countries and to strengthen elements of the national health systems which are required for sustainable NTD control and elimination. The Programme focuses on five NTDs: lymphatic filariasis, onchocerciasis, schistosomiasis, visceral leishmaniasis, and trachoma.
The HSS Manager is a hands-on technical and managerial role, based in the UK, with occasional travel to East and Southern Africa and South Asia.
The HSS Manager will work alongside the Global HSS Lead and Regional HSS Lead to support HSS activities across twelve Ascend Lot 1 countries: Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia.
The HSS Manager will also provide technical input across Abt Britain’s wider portfolio of activities, as required.
Some of the HSS Manager’s responsibilities on ASCEND are:
- Coordination of Abt’s HSS, governance and PEA inputs on Ascend and ensure that HSS is mainstreamed across the Ascend Programme
- Coordination of all HSS inputs across the Ascend consortium and ensure all are aligned with the HSS strategy. This includes workstreams for supply chain improvements, information management systems, health financing, management of secondments. These functions and workstreams are led by a variety of consultants, Country Leads, HQ team colleagues from other consortium members and short term technical assistant experts
- Support, coordinate, occasionally lead the design and delivery of activities to improve health financing. Coordinate closely with the CA PFM team working across Crown Agents’ PFM projects
Beyond Ascend, the HSS Manager will be also responsible for:
- Supporting business development, including providing technical content for proposals, interviewing candidates, engaging partners, and representing Abt at relevant external meetings and events
- Providing technical assistance and strategic support across Abt’s wider portfolio of programmes, as required.
- Relevant qualifications with experience of health systems reforms in low- and middle-income countries (including in East African or South Asian countries);
- Minimum six years of global/in-country experience in implementation of HSS programmes, in cross-cutting areas;
- Technical experience in following areas: public financial management, supply chain management, information systems human resources for health, domestic resource mobilisation and broader health financing;
- Demonstrated success in building, managing and maintaining effective working relations with key stakeholders and communicating programme impact;
- Demonstrated organisational skills with excellent writing and ICT skills;
- Previous programmatic work with DFID and/or FCO, either programme management, or technical work – other donor experience welcome.
For Further Information and Application Details
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website, and should include a current CV, cover letter and a response to the key requirements as outlined in the advert and in the Terms of Reference.
A detailed Job Description is available to download from the vacancy page on the Abt Associates’ website (Career page).
The closing date for applications is 12 July 2020.
We welcome and thank all applications however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from experienced and capable women.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in UK.