Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research, evaluation and implementing programs in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. We work with our clients to implement bold, innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors, contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Abt Associates is an organisation that has a personal commitment to its staff and as such we value the long-term relationships that we build with the people who work for us.
The Legal Counsel and Contracts Officer provides legal advice and supports the enterprise contracting activity of Abt Australia and its programs and subsidiaries.
The Legal Counsel and Contracts Officer will cover a range of duties including:
Legal Counsel duties
- Provide legal advice and support to the company and its subsidiaries as required, under the direction and supervision of the Head of Legal and Risk
- Support the Head of Legal and Risk in governance and company secretarial matters as needed
Contracts Officer duties
- Provide technical support and undertake contracting activity in respect of complex and high value contracts, including reviewing and approving (in line with delegated authority) consulting agreements, subcontracts and grants
- Support the Contracts Manager and Legal Counsel in the development, implementation, monitoring and continual improvement of a pragmatic framework for contracting and grants management, including in relation to devolved authority to Programs
- Support the Risk and Assurance Lead with compliance initiatives as needed
- Support Abt Australia’s business development in relation to the legal and contracting aspects of new business opportunities being pursued as needed
- Develop and maintain trusted relationships and high customer service standards with key stakeholders
- Other reasonable duties as required
- Minimum 2 years’ prior relevant work experience
- Degree in law and admission to practise law in Australia
- Current Queensland practising certificate (or ability to obtain one)
- Experience in contracting activities in an international context
- Knowledge of the Commonwealth Procurement Rules and Commonwealth Grants Rules
- Exposure to international development highly regarded
- High level written and verbal communication skills
- High level problem solving and attention to detail skills
- Ability to travel internationally
- Ability to build strong stakeholder relationships
- Demonstrated policy development, research and review skills
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team environment
- Ability to work concurrently on multiple complex tasks and to respond to changing priorities
Further Information & Application
Other details of this opportunity can be found in the ‘View Position Description’ link at the top of this page.
Applications close: Sunday, 25 August 2019 – midnight (AEST)
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website and MUST include a CV and covering letter addressing the key requirements listed above.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from experienced and capable women.
You must have full Australian working rights to be eligible for consideration for this role.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
We welcome and thank all applicants however; only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.